In addition to various events and festivals taking place throughout Thailand, including the Bun Luang and Phi Ta Khon Festival 2023 in Loei and the Amazing Thailand Grande Sale 2023 in six destinations, there is also the observance of Visakha Bucha Day on June 3, 2023. Celebrated on the full moon of the sixth lunar month, Visakha Bucha Day commemorates the birth, enlightenment, and passing of Lord Buddha. Buddhists visit temples to honor and remember his teachings through merit-making and candlelight ceremonies. The Wien Tien candlelit procession is also held, where Buddhist devotees hold lighted candles and walk around the temple three times to represent Buddha, his teachings, and the monkhood. Here are some of the celebrations taking place around the country:
– Sukhothai ‘Wien Tien Ta Khan’ Visakha Bucha Day 2023: The candlelit procession will take place on June 3 at Wat Chang Lom, Sukhothai Historical Park, Sukhothai. There will also be performances, theatrical royal dramas, star gazing, and local food and goods on sale.
– Mae Hong Son Visakha Bucha Day 2023: Known as Nataya Heng-sattha Gingala Nom Bucha Visakhaburamee, this traditional merit-making ceremony will be held on June 2-4 at Ban Chong Kham School and Wat Phra That Doi Kongmu, Mae Hong Son. There will be a Gingala Lanna Bird Dance, bird processions, competitions, and an alms offering, prayers, and meditation.
– Nakhon Phanom Visakha Bucha Day 2023: Held at Wat Phra That Phanom, the ceremony includes the Khao Thip rice-making ritual and chanting by Buddhist monks on June 3, followed by the sharing of the rice among the locals for good fortune and health.
– Kanchanaburi Visakha Bucha Day 2023: Held at Wat Tha Khanun on June 3, the Wien Tien candlelit procession is done three times a year, and the temple places lit lanterns to create letters or pictures dedicated to Buddha.
– World’s Only Wien Tien Ceremony on Water, Phayao Lake 2023: Held at Wat Tilok Aram on June 3-5, the Wien Tien candlelight procession takes place on water, making it the only ceremony of its kind in the world. The event features 50 boats and marks the beginning of the surfing season in Thailand.
– Kalasin Visakha Bucha Day 2023: Held at Phrathat Yakhu, Kamalasai District, Kalasin on June 3-7, the event includes a worship parade, light and sound performances, traditional Isan flags and clothing, and an alms offering.
Other events and festivals taking place in June throughout Thailand include the Roi Et Bun Bung Fai Festival 2023, Amazing Thailand Culinary City, Cross-Region Travel Fair, Amazing Film Festival Experience, Amazing Phuket Plus Surf Fest 2023, Run Fun Fruit At Chanthaburi 2023, Krabi Music Coffee & Craft #2, Amazing Thai Taste@Rayong, Bangkok Pride 2023, and Chumphon Night Run 2023.
Read the complete story here :June 2023 is another busy month full of festivals and events